A 46-year-old female reports pain in both of her ankles, but she is more concerned about her right ankle. She was playing soccer over the weekend and heard a “pop.” She is able to bear weight, but it is uncomfortable. In determining the cause of the ankle pain, based on your knowledge of anatomy, what foot structures are likely involved?
• Consider what history would be necessary to collect from the patient in the case study you were assigned.
• Consider what physical exams and diagnostic tests would be appropriate to gather more information about the patient’s condition.
• How would the results be used to make a diagnosis?
• Identify at least five possible conditions that may be considered in a differential diagnosis for the patient. and justify why you selected each
• Out of the five differential diagnoses you identify, determine which of the conditions you would reject and why. Identify the most likely condition, and justify your reasoning.
• What special maneuvers will you perform? Should you apply the Ottawa ankle rules to determine if you need additional testing?