Case titled “HOW GIVING FACE CAN BREW SUCCESS” (Rob March) page 2
Read the case and write a report which addresses ALL the following questions:
- “Before tendering began, we were working with the client to develop the brief while the other companies were sitting around” Evaluate the way Benjamin did his due diligence.
- “Benjamin understood the concept of ‘face’. Use the case to prove or disprove this assertion.
- “Many Chinese see it as their patriotic duty to shoot down foreigners, so you can be like a clay pigeon at target practice.” Use the case to describe what this means and use incidents to illustrate any other strategems that can be observed in the case.
- “We (the competing bidders) met every afternoon in the hotel bar and compared notes” Evaluate the ethics of this approach and in general of the case.
- List at least three key lessons you have learned from this case
- List which players had BATNAs and explain how determining this was in the negotiation.
- What advice would you give to someone who needs to negotiate with the Chinese?
- What does this case study teach us about entrapment?
Organize the answers to the questions in a logical order and use headings to make this clear. Refer to theory and supply definitions, where necessary in the report