As you complete your studies as a master’s-prepared health care administrator, what role do you envision for yourself? As you know by now, there are many roles and areas of specialty from which to choose. Since you have almost completed your master’s degree, imagine you have been asked by your dean to make a presentation to a group of undergraduate students who are considering becoming health care administrators.
Your ultimate goal is to sell a health care administrator career to this group of undergraduate students by using all the duties of a healthcare administrator from the What Medical and Health Services Managers Do page of the Occupational Outlook Handbook website, and then personalizing it to how you envision health care will succeed in the next decade.
Write a 1–2 page executive summary of your presentation, plus a 3–5 page paper where you will synthesize the functions of the master’s-prepared health care administrator, including role, responsibilities, and priorities. You will also need to touch on all major components of a health care administrator, such as, but not limited to, human resources, finance, information technology, regulatory topics, and leadership.
For this assignment, you will focus on the following six duties from the What Medical and Health Services Managers Do page of the Occupational Outlook Handbook website:
• Improve efficiency and quality in delivering healthcare services
• Develop departmental goals and objectives
• Ensure that the facility in which they work is up to date on and compliant with laws and regulations
• Recruit, train, and supervise staff members
• Manage the finances of the facility, such as patient fees and billing
• Create work schedules
Your executive summary and paper must include all the elements listed below, so be sure to address each point. You may also want to review the performance-level descriptions for each criterion in the scoring guide to see how your work will be assessed:
- Provide executive summary of a health care administrator’s job responsibilities.
- Outline at least six specific functions of a health care administrator.
- Describe successful leadership traits for the six identified health care administrator functions.
- Analyze current health care challenges confronting health care administration professionals.
- Summarize the knowledge and skills necessary for health care leaders to succeed for the next 10 years.