Self-awareness is essential for developing leadership skills. Recognizing your own
strengths, weaknesses, and values, and understanding emotional intelligence and learning
styles can help you to be a more effective nurse leader.
For this assignment, you have the opportunity to take a variety of self-assessments to learn
more about yourself and identify your assets and weaknesses as a leader. This will assist
you in discovering how you can improve your own self-leadership skills. You will be asked
to think critically about your results and submit a reflection as directed below.
Refer to the topic Resources. Select and complete three self-assessments. Be sure to
document the results of each assessment to assist you in completing the reflection portion
of the assignment below.
Becoming self-aware is an ongoing process requiring introspection. The more often people
practice self-reflection, the more opportunities they have to understand their own
behaviors and adapt their approaches to working with other people, which can improve
both your own and other’s abilities to meet their professional goals.
In a 1,000-1,250 word reflective essay, address the following:
- Provide a rationale and brief summary for selecting each self-assessment.
Summarize the results you obtained on each assessment.
- Identify the leadership style that closely aligns to your philosophy of care and
explain what appeals to you about that style.
- Reflect on how you might incorporate elements of that particular style as you
exercise leadership in a practice or health care organization setting.
- Discuss any particular areas for improvement the assessments helped you identify
and some steps for improving your leadership capabilities.
- Analyze the characteristics of an effective professional nurse leader, or individuals in
nursing leadership. Discuss the characteristics and explain why they are effective for
leadership in nursing.
- Analyze different leadership theories and leadership styles. Select one theory and
leadership style, different from your own, and explain how they each support a
professional nurse leader or individual in nursing leadership. Consider how the
theory shapes the nurse leader in such things as collaboration, conflict resolution,
decision making, and negotiation.