In the Euro Disneyland case study (p. 257 in the textbook), many of the issues Disney had from the start related to cultural challenges expanding into France. Using Hofstede’s four cultural dimensions as a point of reference, how would you make the following decisions using the Business Problem Solving Model in the course content?
- Discover-Identify the problem: What were two of the three main issues described in the case that were problematic?
- Investigate-Gather information to define the problem: What were the cultural challenges posed by Disney’s expansion into France?
- Brainstorm-Produce Alternatives: In your opinion, how could Disney have resolved these issues?
- Implement-Put the best solution into effect: Of your alternatives, which one do you think would work out best? Why?
- Review-Assess the effects of the solution: Based on Disney’s experience, what are the lessons the company should have learned about how to deal with cultural issues when expanding? Describe each.